Monday, April 08, 2013

"Parkinson's at 60" to be published as part of my guest blog at Latina Book Club!

A nice birthday present for me, Latina Book Club will be publishing my guest blog about discovering my muse in later life on May 1st, as part of their Writers' Wednesdays monthly series. I am very excited to be published there and to contribute to encouraging the community to read and to read Latino literature in particular.
This particular poem was inspired by a cousin's visit from Puerto Rico, during which he told me of his condition. These things are hard to process without poetry--I'm even more grateful than ever that I can do so!
However, the post is mostly about finding my mentor, Andrea Hollander, and how with her help I was able to overcome mental barriers to writing poetry that I had always struggled with over the years.
Being able to express myself effectively via poetry feels like being able to take a deep breath for the first time in my life!

No comments: