Thursday, June 26, 2008

Can't Stop the Serenity




I just attended a special screening of the film Serenity for Equality Now, a charity devoted to helping women around the world achieve equality and justice.


Can't Stop the Serenity

Serenity is a science fiction/western based on the short-lived t.v. series Firefly, which has won a cult following since its cancellation.

Its creator, Joss Whedon of Buffy and Angel fame, favors this charity so a group of devoted fans decided to host screenings of the film around the country and donate the proceeds to his favorite charity.

We fans call ourselves Browncoats and there are fan clubs around the world:

Claudia Recinos is the organizer of the South Florida Browncoats.

The screening took place at a venue in Ft. Lauderdale, a wonderful historical theater, Cinema Paradiso.

It is hosting the Ft. Lauderdale International Film Festival:


I can't explain the appeal of the show Firefly even to myself: I've liked other science fiction shows like Star Trek, Farscape, Stargate, etc, but Firefly has somethng unique and special that goes beyond just a show. I think I'm as close to being a fanatic as I can come, though probably my level of fanaticism is mild, compared to some.

As for the movie, it was great seeing it on a big screen again. Cinema Paradiso is delightful; it was the best movie-going experience I've had in a long, long time.

Many thanks to Claudia Recinos for organizing this event!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nebula: ey! your spanish is perfect!!! but you can also speak in english in my blog!!! thank you for visiting!. i like your blog to :)