Friday, December 28, 2007

New Year, new blog

I began this as a book review blog but decided to add other content. I'm going to attempt to blog as if no one is reading (a pretty safe bet) because so much of what I read on the internet is so self-conscious or blandly journalistic. I don't want this to be a "dear diary" type of blog either because frankly, the only people who ever wrote interesting diaries are all dead. Ditto for letters. My writing has been doubly cursed by my being both a journalism major and an English literature major at some point; it's difficult to shake off the inner editor/critic. I'm also not of the generation that can write "enough" as "enuf," without wincing internally so I can't do anything about my antiquated spelling. I LIKE the fact that English has non-phonetic spelling. That's one of the things that makes it the endearing, logic-defying, perverse language that it is. I'm also fluent in Spanish, which makes much more sense, but I've never loved it like I love the English language.

No comments: